The Sisters of Charity were founded by Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, in the spirit of Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac, in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1809. In 1859 Mother Mary Xavier Mehegan founded the New Jersey community known as the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
Today the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are engaged in education, health care, pastoral and social service ministries in 13 dioceses within the United States, El Salvador and Haiti. The Congregation currently numbers 230 vowed members. The Seton Associate relationship has 309 affiliated lay and religious women and men.
Serving from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2023
Sister Maureen Shaughnessy, SC, General Superior
Sister Cecilia McManus, SC, Assistant General Superior
Sister Ellen Farrell, SC, Councilor, and Treasurer of the Congregation and the Corporation
Sister Maryanne Campeotto, SC, Councilor and Secretary of the Congregation and the Corporation
Sister Elizabeth Kremp, SC, Councilor
Sister Judith Mertz, SC, Councilor
Campus of Motherhouse: Administration Building, Convent of Saint Elizabeth, Holy Family Chapel, Academy of Saint Elizabeth, College of Saint Elizabeth
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth ministries include: Education, Diocesan and Parish Ministry, Counseling, Retreat & Conference Center, Women's Center, Spiritual Direction and Retreats, Hospitals, Homes for the Aged, Health Care, Community Centers and Social Services.
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are represented in the Archdioceses of Hartford, Newark, and El Salvador, Jacmel and Port-au-Prince, and the Dioceses of Charlotte, Chicago, Fall River, Palm Beach, Paterson, Raleigh, Trenton, and Tucson.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
DIRECTION STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF 2019